Fun Facts for Kids
- Hyacinth macaws are often considered to be gentle giants, with loving and gentle personalities.
- To avoid being eaten by Hyacinth macaws, palm trees produce harder and harder nuts over time. Some macaws with very big beaks can open these nuts. Their young get larger and heavier beaks from their genes, and so beaks become bigger in each new generation.
- The macaw uses its beak to score a mark in the nut. Then, as a cutter does, it slices the nut into two halves, cutting very cleanly, almost like human work.
- Hyacinth macaws can mimic human voices.
- When in flight, the Hyacinth macaw makes a guttural and discordant “kraaa-aaa”, repeating these sounds in bursts. When roosting, it makes barks, yelps, and growls.
- When disturbed, these macaws screech loudly, circling overhead while their long tails stream out behind them.
- The acuri nut, which is a favorite of the hyacinth macaw, is so hard that the bird cannot eat it until it has been digested by cattle.
- Hyacinth macaws sometimes eat clay, which helps them absorb the poison that naturally occurs in some unripe fruits and seeds. These mountains of clay are called "macaw licks".
- Hyacinth macaws have an important part to play in their ecosystem through the dispersal of nuts and seeds throughout their territory.
- Hyacinth Macaws are a vulnerable species.
The Hyacinth macaw (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus) is a parrot native to South America. With a length (from the top of its head to the tip of its long pointed tail) of about one meter, it is longer than any other species of parrot. It is the largest macaw and the largest flying parrot species.
Product Dimension: (19.5 L X 6.1 W X 9.6 H)
HANSA CREATION, INC. Aviary is HANSA CREATION's hand-crafted collection of realistic plush animals. It takes great pride in each enchanting work of soft sculpture art, carefully designed to educate, fascinate, captivate and inspire creative play for collectors of all ages.
Artists create each HANSA animal from portraits of the creature in its natural habitat appropriately called Hansa Creation Portrait's in Nature. It is HANSA's uncompromising integrity in design and quality standards that has charmed collectors for generations and continues to mesmerize new collectors of all ages.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.