6982, MALAYSIAN HORNBILL Bird 27"L are anatomically scaled to create the best reproduction of the life size stuffed animal and the most realistic stuffed animal in the industry.
Fun Facts for Kids
- The Latin name of the Great hornbill comes from the epithet 'bicornis' and means 'two-horned' because the distinctive casque of the bird appears U-shaped when viewed from the front, and the top is concave, with two ridges along the sides that form points in the front.
- The casque of the Great hornbill is hollow and serves no known purpose, although it is believed to be the result of sexual selection. Male hornbills are known to indulge in aerial casque butting, with birds striking each other in flight.
- A prominent "eyelashes" of Great hornbills are modified feathers!
- Male Great hornbills sometimes apply make-up! They spread the preen gland secretion, which is yellow, onto the primary feathers and bill to give them the bright yellow color.
- Great hornbills are strong in flight and sometimes fly at great height over forests. Their wing beats are heavy and the sound produced by birds in flight can be heard from a distance. This sound has been likened to the puffing of a steam locomotive starting up. The flight involves stiff flaps followed by glides with the fingers splayed and upcurled.
- Great hornbills are fond of fig so much that up to 200 birds may gather in the same tree to feed on this fruit.
- The Great hornbill is called homrai in Nepal (hence the name of the Himalayan subspecies) and banrao, both meaning "king of the forest". In Malayalam, this beautiful bird is called "Vezhaambal".
- The Great Hormbill is Vulnerable.
The great hornbill (Buceros bicornis ), also known as the concave-casqued hornbill, great Indian hornbill or great pied hornbill, is one of the larger members of the hornbill family. It occurs in the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia. It is predominantly frugivorous, but also preys on small mammals, reptiles and birds. It has been listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List since 2018. It is known to have lived for nearly 50 years in captivity. Due to its large size and colour, it is important in many tribal cultures and rituals. The Government of Kerala declared it as the official Kerala state bird.
Product Dimension: 27.98(L) X 7.87(W) X 14.96(H)
HANSA CREATION, INC. Aviary is HANSA CREATION's hand-crafted collection of realistic plush animals. It takes great pride in each enchanting work of soft sculpture art, carefully designed to educate, fascinate, captivate and inspire creative play for collectors of all ages.
Artists create each HANSA animal from portraits of the creature in its natural habitat appropriately called Hansa Creation Portrait's in Nature. It is HANSA's uncompromising integrity in design and quality standards that has charmed collectors for generations and continues to mesmerize new collectors of all ages.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.