3703, MEERKAT YOUTH UP 9'' H are anatomically scaled to create the best reproduction of the life size stuffed animal and the most realistic stuffed animal in the industry.
The meerkat (Suricata suricatta) or suricate is a small mongoose found in southern Africa. They live in rock crevices in stony, often calcareous areas, and in large burrow systems in plains. They use a broad variety of calls to communicate with one another for different purposes and their favorite prey items are primarily insects.
The meerkat has a wide distribution in southern Africa, from the extreme southwest of Angola, through Namibia and Botswana, and into the west and north of South Africa. They live in areas with the stony, often calcareous ground in a variety of arid, open habitats with little woody vegetation. Meerkats are common in savannahs, open plains, and rocky areas beside dry rivers. They are absent from true deserts but may occur in semi-desert regions.
- The Honolulu Zoo keeps only male meerkats so that there is no possibility of escaped animals establishing a breeding population, which could cause serious damage to the natural ecosystem.
- A very keen sense of smell enables meerkats to locate prey, which they will dig out, using their long-clawed forefeet.
- A meerkat can move 50 times its body weight of sand and dig 400 holes in just half a day.
- The black patches around a meerkat’s eyes help protect it against the sun’s constant glare, rather like sunglasses for a human.
- Able to survive drinking no water, meerkats get the necessary moisture from eating tubers and roots, as well as fruit like tsama melons.
- When standing erect, a meerkat will balance on its long, stiff tail, using it as a kickstand for a bicycle.
- In the Disney film The Lion King, Timon was a meerkat.
- Young meerkats are so afraid of birds that airplanes will scare them into their burrows.
- As adaptations to living in a sandy habitat, meerkats are able to close their ears so that sand will stay out, and they also have a third eyelid that protects their eyes.
Product Dimension: 4.72(L) X 3.94(W) X 10.24(H)
HANSA CREATION, INC. Safari is HANSA CREATION's hand-crafted collection of realistic plush animals. It takes great pride in each enchanting work of soft sculpture art, carefully designed to educate, fascinate, captivate and inspire creative play for collectors of all ages.
Artists create each HANSA animal from portraits of the creature in its natural habitat appropriately called Hansa Creation Portrait's in Nature. It is HANSA's uncompromising integrity in design and quality standards that has charmed collectors for generations and continues to mesmerize new collectors of all ages.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.