4925, OPOSSUM 12'' are anatomically scaled to create the best reproduction of the life size stuffed animal and the most realistic stuffed animal in the industry.
The Virginia opossum (Didelphis virginiana ), commonly known as the North American opossum, is the only opossum found north of Mexico, with its range additionally extending south into Central America. Its range makes it both the northernmost opossum and the northernmost marsupial in the world. In the United States, the animal is typically referred to simply as a possum ('possum ) or an opossum. It is a solitary and nocturnal animal about the size of a domestic cat, and a successful opportunist.
The Virginia opossum is the only marsupial found in North America north of Mexico. In the United States, it is typically referred to simply as a possum. It is familiar to many North Americans as it is often seen near towns, rummaging through garbage cans, or as roadkill. They are about the same size as a large house cat, having a triangular head with a long pointed nose. The fur is grayish and is everywhere except its ears, tail, and feet. Amongst their fur is long white-tipped guard hairs. The fur color may differ according to the population’s range. Their ears are large and delicate and the tail is prehensile, adapted for gripping and wrapping around tree limbs.
Virginia opossums live in most parts of the United States that are east of the Rocky Mountains, and along the west coast from British Columbia in Canada and to Baja California. It is also found in Mexico and Central America. The animal lives in a wide range of habitats, including open woods, deciduous forests, and farmland. It prefers wet areas like swamps, marshes, and streams.
- Virginia opossums deal with extreme heat by cooling themselves down by spreading their saliva.
- They have a reputation as being very slow and clumsy. But they can show directional turns to avoid being captured when pursued. They can also swim or climb to escape from danger.
- The name “opossum” was used for the first time in western culture in 1608 by Captain John Smith. It is from the Algonquin word “apasum”, meaning “white animal.”
- When startled or frightened, opossums can pretend to be dead (or “play possum”). An individual will curl up with its mouth open, tongue hanging out, and it looks dead. Their breathing even slows down for a few minutes or up to several hours. They will tolerate being poked or prodded and even bitten by an animal without reacting. This play can enable the opossum to escape predation, as most predators do not eat carrion.
- Opossums have the greatest number of teeth of any land mammal: fifty of them, razor-sharp.
Product Dimension: 9.84(L) X 5.91(W) X 4.72(H)
HANSA CREATION, INC. Collection is HANSA CREATION's hand-crafted collection of realistic plush animals. It takes great pride in each enchanting work of soft sculpture art, carefully designed to educate, fascinate, captivate and inspire creative play for collectors of all ages.
Artists create each HANSA animal from portraits of the creature in its natural habitat appropriately called Hansa Creation Portrait's in Nature. It is HANSA's uncompromising integrity in design and quality standards that has charmed collectors for generations and continues to mesmerize new collectors of all ages.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.