0418, FLAMINGO PINK on ROCK 34" H are anatomically scaled to create the best reproduction of the life size stuffed animal and the most realistic stuffed animal in the industry.
The American flamingo is a large species of flamingo closely related to the greater flamingo and Chilean flamingo. Along with the greater flamingo, it has the longest legs relative to its body size of all birds. The bill bends characteristically downward, and at the base it is pale yellow, in the middle it is pink to orange, and the tip is black. Their plumage is deep pink/red/orange and they are the brightest in plumage of all flamingo species. The young birds are gray in color, their feathers slowly turning pink as they mature.
The American flamingo inhabits South America’s north coast, the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, and some of the Caribbean islands. There is also a small isolated population that inhabits the Galapagos Islands. It is the only flamingo that is native to North America. It lives in a wide variety of freshwater and saline habitats such as lagoons, estuaries, coastal and inland lakes, and mudflats.
American flamingos eat mainly brine, shrimps, mollusks, but also marine worms, insects, and algae. Flamingos eat in an amusing manner. They position their beaks in the water upside down and suck water into them. They then pump the water out of the sides of their beaks. Tiny animals and plants remain to provide a tasty meal.
Flamingos live, feed, and breed in large flocks, which may number thousands of individuals. When mating and interacting with others in the colony, they use highly ritualized displays. Most of the day American flamingos spend feeding. They are shy and fly away if disturbed. Both adults and juveniles spend most of their time feeding, preening, and resting. Each individual becomes aggressively territorial when foraging for food. A bird claims a "territory" and doesn’t allow others to come nearby. If one does come too close, the bird that has been offended will exhibit threatening displays in warning, so that the intruder will leave. A colony establishes distinct areas where the birds can freely interact, the drinking area being one such place. Like other flamingo species, American flamingos will migrate short distances to ensure that they get enough food or because their current habitat has been disturbed in some way. While their flights are not as long as other migratory birds, flamingos still fly for periods without eating.
- The American flamingo, like all flamingos, is a noisy bird. Its voice plays an important part in keeping the flock together. Sounds vary according to the type of activity, usually low gabbling while feeding, and nasal honking during flight. Courtship displays may be accompanied by growling and grunting.
- American flamingos sometimes feed while swimming, upending like ducks, paddling with their feet to keep their position. These large flamingos can reach down as far as 120-130 cm, which enables them to access more food.
- Each day flamingos spend 15-30% of their time cleaning their feathers, spreading oil that is produced from a special gland over feathers with their beak.
- The visible "knee" of a flamingo is, in fact, an ankle joint. The true knee is near to the body and is hidden by the feathers.
- A flamingo’s neck has 19 bones and its feathers and beaks are made of a strong substance called keratin.
Product Dimension: 19.68(L) X 22.44(W) X 34.25(H, Weight. 7.16 Lbs.
HANSA CREATION, INC. Hansatronics is HANSA CREATION's hand-crafted collection of realistic plush animals. It takes great pride in each enchanting work of soft sculpture art, carefully designed to educate, fascinate, captivate and inspire creative play for collectors of all ages.
Artists create each HANSA animal from portraits of the creature in its natural habitat appropriately called Hansa Creation Portrait's in Nature. It is HANSA's uncompromising integrity in design and quality standards that has charmed collectors for generations and continues to mesmerize new collectors of all ages.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.