5155, QUAGGA 19'' are anatomically scaled to create the best reproduction of the life size stuffed animal and the most realistic stuffed animal in the industry.
The quagga (Equus quagga quagga) is a subspecies of the Plains zebra that was endemic to South Africa until it was hunted to extinction in the late 19th century by European settler-colonists. Some were taken to zoos in Europe, but breeding programs were unsuccessful. The last wild population lived in the Orange Free State; the quagga was extinct in the wild by 1878. The last captive specimen died in Amsterdam on 12 August 1883. Only one quagga was ever photographed alive. The word "Quagga" derives from the Khoikhoi language and is an imitation of this animal's call.
Fun Facts for Kids
- Like other species of their sub-genus, these ungulates had a hygiene ritual, which they performed every day. In order to remove parasites, they would stand side by side and nibble on each other's necks, manes, and backs. Additionally, oxbirds would ride on the back of these mammals, cleaning their coats.
- Quaggas were the first grazing animals to consume tall grass vegetation as well as wet pastures of their range.
- In the 1980s, a South African taxidermist Reinhold Rau organized the "Quagga Project". He suggested that Quaggas can be re-established through the selective breeding of modern-day zebras.
- Quaggas were the first animals to have their DNA studied.
- After about 25 years, multiple foals of this species have been yielded. These animals exhibit well-defined stripes on their heads, although stripes on their rumps are either quite pale or absent. By 2020, the "Quagga Project" is intending to have as many as 500 Quagga-like zebras and introduce 3 free-ranging populations of this species with more than 100 individuals in each population.
Product Dimension: 19.69(L) X 6.69(W) X 18.9(H)
HANSA CREATION, INC. Down Under is HANSA CREATION's hand-crafted collection of realistic plush animals. It takes great pride in each enchanting work of soft sculpture art, carefully designed to educate, fascinate, captivate and inspire creative play for collectors of all ages.
Artists create each HANSA animal from portraits of the creature in its natural habitat appropriately called Hansa Creation Portrait's in Nature. It is HANSA's uncompromising integrity in design and quality standards that has charmed collectors for generations and continues to mesmerize new collectors of all ages.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.